There are various fertility disorders in women. PCOS or Polycystic ovarian syndrome is one of them. It is a reproductive health disorder seen in many young women today, in which cysts grow over the ovary resulting in a hormonal imbalance. The ovaries produce an abnormal amount of the male sex hormone which is usually present in smaller quantities in women. It is a condition in which women face various problems such as a regular menstrual cycle, weight gain and hyperandrogenism which causes acne and hirsutism, which is hair growth over the chin, lips, and thighs and resistance to insulin.
10 to 20% of women suffer from this condition. 50% of the cases go undiagnosed. It manifests itself through various symptoms such as severe cramps and excruciating pain around the time of the menstrual cycle. There is also a longer time interval between the two cycles.
Yashoda IVF centre in Uran is one of the best centres which addresses such problems by providing the right diagnostic techniques and state-of-the-art treatment facilities.
Causes of PCOS:
- Though the exact cause is unknown, it may be attributed to insulin resistance. Since there is an increase in the level of insulin, the androgen or the male hormone levels also go up.
- It is also hereditary in origin. If a mother has PCOS, there is an increased likelihood of the daughter too having it.
- Eating unhealthy or junk foods
- Long hours of inactivity
- Sedentary lifestyle
PCOD Problem Symptoms
- Facial hair growth
- Weight gain
- Irregular periods
- Heavy bleeding
- Chronic inflammation
- Insulin resistance
- Male pattern baldness
- Skin darkening
- Metabolic disorders
- Eating disorders
- Cardiovascular disorders
- Thyroid disorders
- Polycystic ovaries in which ovaries are bigger than normal size and do not function normally.
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome Diagnosis and Treatment
- There is no single test for the diagnosis of PCOS or polycystic ovarian syndrome. A proper medical history is taken by the doctor in which the symptoms of other illnesses and medications are asked.
- A history is taken regarding the menstrual cycle and weight changes.
- Physical examination is done in which the male pattern hair growth acne and insulin resistance are examined.
- Blood test- this helps in assessing the hormonal levels, fasting glucose level cholesterol triglyceride level, and glucose tolerance test.
- Pelvic examination to check the reproductive organs internally for any abnormality or growth.
- Ultrasound is done to assess the thickness of the uterus and ovary size
- Trans vaginal ultrasound is also done
PCOS Treatment and Medication
Lifestyle changes- It is recommended that one should bring about certain changes in their lifestyle if one is diagnosed with PC. It is essential to maintain a healthy weight in order to stay fit. If you are overweight, you must incorporate some form of exercise such as jogging running walking, etc. in your daily routine.
Switch to healthier food habits- You must opt for low-carb and low-fat foods which will help you in losing weight.
The patient suffering from PCOS has a problem with acne and hirsutism. For such cases, it is recommended that a dermatologist’s opinion should be taken.
The best Gynecologist in Kamothe can help you with medications for regulating the menstrual cycle in case you are not planning a pregnancy. This will also help in regulating the androgen levels.
However, if you do plan to become pregnant, medicines can help the ovaries release eggs normally. These medications come with a few risks such as increased chances of multiple births (twins or more). They can also cause ovarian hyperstimulation where too many hormones are released by the ovaries. It may cause bloating and abdominal pain.
Medications may also be given for overcoming and treating insulin resistance.
PCOS can cause problems related to fertility such problems can be overcome through IVF- in vitro fertilization technique and IUI intrauterine insemination.
Superovulation is also one of the modern treatment modalities for this condition.
Timed intercourse or planning it around the time of ovulation can also help in increasing the chances of fertility.
There are no ways how to cure PCOS or polycystic ovarian syndrome permanently these are the following ways that can be opted for minimizing the impact of this condition.
- IVF or ICSI
- Ovarian drilling.
- Assisted reproductive techniques to increase the chances of fertility.
Complications of PCOS
In this condition, there is an increased likelihood of developing other severe health problems such as Type 2 Diabetes, high blood pressure, problems of the heart and blood vessels and uterine cancer.
It may also interfere with fertility making it difficult to conceive. The conception will take longer than normal.
Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS) is a common problem in women of childbearing age. It needs the right diagnosis and treatment which will help you overcome problems associated with this condition. Yashoda IVF Centre is a leading fertility clinic that will help you with the right treatment. Living with PCOS can indeed be a struggle, but incorporating the right changes in lifestyle as mentioned above along with the right medications will help you minimize its impact of it on your overall health.